A stock exchange, securities exchange or bourse is a facility or exchange where stock brokers and traders can buy and/or sell securities such as stocks (also called shares), bonds, and other financial instruments. Stock exchanges may also provide facilities for issue and redemption of such securities and other financial instruments, and capital events including the payment of income and dividends.
This is the list of the top 20 stock exchanges in the world based on their market capitalization.
|1||New York Stock Exchange||United States||New York||NYSE||EST/EDT||-5||Mar–Nov||09:30||16:00||No|
|2||NASDAQ||United States||New York||NASDAQ-100||EST/EDT||-5||Mar–Nov||09:30||16:00||No|
|3||Japan Exchange Group||Japan||Tokyo||Nikkei 225||JST||9||09:00||15:00||11:30
|4||Shanghai Stock Exchange||China||Shanghai||SSE Composite||CST||8||09:30||15:00||11:30
|6||London Stock Exchange Group||United Kingdom
|7||Hong Kong Stock Exchange||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||Hang Sang Indexes||HKT||8||09:15||16:00||12:00
|8||Shenzhen Stock Exchange||China||Shenzhen||SZSE Composite Index||CST||8||09:30||15:00||11:30
|10||Bombay Stock Exchange||India||Mumbai||Sensex (Sensitive Index)||IST||5.5||09:00||15:30||No|
|11||National Stock Exchange of India||India||Mumbai||Nifty||IST||5.5||09:00||15:30||No|
|12||TMX Group||Canada||Toronto||S&P/TSX Composite||EST/EDT||-5||Mar–Nov||09:30||16:00||No|
|13||Korea Exchange||South Korea||Seoul||KOSPI||KST||9||09:00||15:30||No|
|14||SIX Swiss Exchange||Switzerland||Zurich||SMI
(Swiss market index)
|15||NASDAQ Nordic||Nordic countries
|Stockholm||OMX Nordic 40||various|
|16||Australian Securities Exchange||Australia||Sydney||S&P/ASX 200||AEST/AEDT||10||Oct–Apr||10:00||16:00||No|
|17||JSE Limited||South Africa||Johannesburg||FTSE/JSE||SAST||2||09:00||17:00||No|
|18||Taiwan Stock Exchange||Taiwan||Taipei||TSEC||NST (Taiwan)||8||09:00||13:30||No|
|19||B3||Brazil||São Paulo||Bovespa Index||BRT/BRST||-3||Oct–Feb||09:00||18:00||No|
|20||BME Spanish Exchanges||Spain||Madrid||IBEX35||CET/CEST||1||Mar–Oct||09:00||17:30||No|
* DST – Daylight Saving Time
* During daylight saving time period, the Δs will be one hour more
Did you know?
- Amsterdam Stock Exchange is the oldest stock exchange in the world established in 1602 by the Dutch East India Company and was the first company to issue stocks and bonds. On 22nd September 2000, it merged with the Brussels Stock Exchange and the Paris Stock Exchange to form Euronext.
- The New York Stock Exchange is nicknamed as “The Big Board”
- The Bombay Stock Exchange is the oldest exchange in Asia
- NASDAQ is the world’s first Electronic Stock Exchange